Paediatric Update Evening
Dr Peter McIlroy, Paediatrician, NMDHB, Nick Reid, Paediatric Senior Registrar, NMDHB and Jessica Irvine, Clinical Nurse Specialist Child and Youth Health, NMDHB presented a case based discussion of a wide range of common paediatric conditions including: The Febrile Child, Respiratory Disease, Gastroenteritis and other Gastrointestinal and related illnesses and Antibiotic Best Practice.
The evening was well attended and some of the feedback included:
- Very good update. Interesting and stimulating. Good having involvement in case studies.
- Good update on best practice - particularly re [NOT USING] steroids in small children with wheeze.
- The need to check patients have been given a fluid chart when prescribed pedialyte etc.
- More confident about gauging when children should be referred, and good info re allergies, eczema.
- Learnt lots. This was an excellent education. Everything was applicable to general practice and I'm sure all of the attendances will change something about the way they practice.
- Top Tips from the evening – summary notes with links to useful resources
- BPAC Paediatric Paracetamol Dose Calculator
- Paediatric Traffic Light Table for the Febrile Child
- Paediatric Update background readin