What's required for a Sexual Health Check?
The “Should I have a Sexual Health Check?” leaflet from Public Health suggests a sexual health consultation should cover sexual history, timing, partner(s) and physical tests that may include: visual, blood test, swab test & urine test and an internal examination. – See GP resources attached.
GPs and Nurses may tailor the consultation to meet the individuals’ needs, so consider including…
- Promote being aware of sexual health, what that means and having choices
- Check sex was consensual.
- Discuss risks if alcohol /drugs/no regular partner/violence.
- Check for any STI’s symptomatic or silent
- Check for pregnancy and provide advice according to the result
- Discuss contraceptive options
- Don’t forget the importance of regular cervical smears (IPIF)
“It’s not just discussing contraception, but prescribing,” Annette Milligan.
NMDHB/NBPH will pay practices for each sexual health consultation provided. Please claim payment via the NBPH web portal.